Our Terms & Conditions
Virtual Academy Rules and Conditions of Enrolment
Section A - Opening statement
We acknowledge these are particularly challenging times for everyone due to the current Covid-19 pandemic but felt it our duty to ensure our students can continue to develop their skills and passion for the Performing Arts. The classes offered by our virtual academy are delivered by the same talented faculty as our physical classes and must be treated with the same respect, care and consideration by all parties. The Academy reserves the right to amend or alter the Rules and Conditions of enrolment at any time.
Section B - Student Supervision
Our Faculty cannot be physically present with the student thus guardians must always ensure an adequate level of physical supervision is provided. The Academy cannot be held responsible for any injuries or damage incurred during a lesson where the teacher is not physically present, therefore it is the guardian's responsibility for the student's health & safety. Students require a safe and supportive learning environment so an approach of "checking in" and "keeping an eye" is essential.
- Guardians must inform the Academy prior to the lesson of any injuries or medical considerations that the teacher is not already aware of.
- Students must be physically supervised by their registered guardian or a responsible party nominated by the guardian.
- Supervising parties must be able to react promptly and attend to the physical needs of the student.
- Supervising parties must remain outside the view of the student's camera whenever possible.
- Supervising parties must be mindful not to overbear or distract the student.
- Students must not attend class in a room with a closed door unless the supervising party is physically present; one-to-one lessons must always have a supervising party present.
Section C - Environment
Our Faculty will adapt their classes to accommodate smaller environments. Guardians must ensure the following for the space in which the student attends class:
- Anything in the background of the student’s camera is appropriate and suitable for all ages.
- The space is safe to move around, uncluttered and free of all trip hazards and distractions (including pets).
- Other individuals in the household must remain out of view of the student's camera, wear suitable clothing and will ensure no profanity or unsuitable behaviour can be seen or heard by the student’s device.
- Only the registered student may attend the class.
Section D - Behaviour
- Students must behave in a polite, respectful and caring manner towards faculty and their peers.
- Students are required to have an accessible bottle of water but must not consume food during their class.
- Students must alert their teacher, by use of the raise hand function if muted, of all concerns.
- Students must not attempt any physical movement that is not appropriate for their physical environment.
- Students must ensure they are sufficiently warmed up before class commences and alert their teacher if they require additional time to do so.
- Students must not use their mobile phone while in class. If they are using their mobile phone to connect to the class, they may only use it to adjust Zoom settings, to use the raise hand feature and must refrain from using any other apps until the end of the class.
- Students must not use profanity in any verbal or written communication while attending class.
- Students must never engage in any form of peer-on-peer abuse, regardless of whether they are attending a class at the time.
Section E - Uniform
- All classes must be attended in regular SRA uniform and the Uniform Policy adhered to.
- Appropriate footwear must be worn for all dance classes, with bare feet being an option if approved by the teacher. Socks must not be worn as a form of footwear.
- All other members of the household must wear suitable and appropriate clothing while the student is attending class.
Section F - Recording
- It is strictly forbidden for students and household members to record or attempt to record, by any medium (including screenshots), any aspect of a class. Any person(s) believed or found to be recording classes will be reported to the relevant authorities.
- To support the delivery of the curriculum, teaching faculty may wish to record sections of choreography or examples of work that the students can watch in their own time before the next lesson. On these occasions, staff will ensure all students have left the class before recording. To support this policy at a technical level, recording disclaimers are enforced on all SRA Zoom accounts and must be accepted by all meeting participants prior to any recording being able to commence.
Section G - Technology
- SRA will use the Zoom video platform to deliver the live aspect of all classes; students will not need to create an account to join a live class.
- Guardians will be sent a reminder containing the joining information for each class 15 minutes prior to the start of each lesson.
- Joining information must only be shared by SRA administrative staff.
- Students will be muted upon joining a class.
- The waiting room feature is enforced on all SRA Zoom accounts; students must wait to be admitted by their teacher once they have connected to a class.
Section H - Fees & Notice
- Fees are payable by the first Saturday of term. Invoices sent mid-term are due within 14 days of the invoice date.
- Overdue accounts will be subject to a £25 administration fee. In the event of the account having to be handed to the Company Secretary for collection, additional charges will be incurred. The Academy reserves the right to exclude students from classes until fees are paid. Unpaid cheques will incur a £10 administration charge.
- The Academy reserves the right to amend or alter the fees and classes as and when necessary.
- Each individual class is subject to a half termly commitment after the initial class and subject to a half academic terms notice in writing or email or the equivalent fee must be paid.
Section I – Additional Classes
- Should a student that is already registered at the Virtual Academy wish to attend classes in any additional subject, then the original acceptance of the Rules and Conditions of Enrolment shall also apply.
Section J – Disciplinary Procedure
- The Academy reserves the right to ask for a pupil to be removed from the Virtual Academy for any of the following reasons:
- Should a student not respond to training.
- Behaves in a way that disrupts the enjoyment and learning of others.
- For any breach of the Rules and Conditions of Enrolment.
(Amended 25th April 2020)
Academy Rules and Conditions of Enrolment
1. Fees are payable by the first Saturday of term. Any invoices sent out mid-term are due within 14 days of the invoice
2. Overdue accounts will be subject to a £25 administration fee. In the event of the account having to be handed to the
Company Secretary for collection additional charges will be incurred. The Academy reserves the right to exclude
students from classes until the fees are paid. Unpaid cheques will incur a £10 administration charge.
3. Each individual class is subject to a full academic terms notice in writing or by email or the equivalent fee must be
paid. Please note that notice given ‘half term to half term’ does not fulfil this requirement.
4. Should a student that is already registered at the Academy wish to attend classes in additional subjects then the
original acceptance of the Rules and Conditions of Enrolment shall also apply.
5. The Academy reserves the right to amend or alter the fees and classes as and when necessary.
6. When students are NOT in class the Academy cannot accept any responsibility for their care. When students are in
between classes, before and after classes, they are the responsibility of their parents / guardians.
7. The Academy cannot accept any responsibility for any articles lost on the premises, howsoever caused
8. The Academy has a uniform policy and students are expected to wear the correct uniform at all times which is
available to purchase from the office.
9. Pupils are expected to behave in a polite, respectful and caring manner to teachers and to other pupils and make
every effort to arrive punctually to classes. Should a student be unable to attend class please notify the office as
soon as possible.
10. The Academy reserves the right to ask for a pupil to be removed from the school for any of the following reasons
a. Should a student not respond to training.
b. Behaves in a way that disrupts the enjoyment and learning of others.
c. Cause wilful damage.
d. For any breach of the Rules and Conditions of Enrolment.
11. Should it prove necessary to close the school or cancel classes on account of an epidemic or a crisis or any
circumstances over which the Academy has no control, fees will not be refunded or compensation given.
12. Parents and carers are not permitted to watch classes except on specified occasions which will be advised by the
individual class teachers.
13. The Academy only permits photography and video/audio recordings to be taken by its own staff or other officially
appointed person. It is assumed that clients give permission for their child’s image to be recorded. Photographs and
videos are regularly taken for promotional purposes including, but not limited to, the school brochure, website and
press coverage. Performances are regularly professionally filmed and DVDs produced which are available to
purchase. Should you not wish for your child’s image to be used then the Principal must be informed in writing and in
some circumstances this will mean that your child will not be able to participate in a performance.
14. Parents and students can see SRA’s Safeguarding and Health and Safety policy on the Susan Roberts Academy
website or a copy can be obtained from the SRA office.
15. All mobile phones, tablets and electronic devices belonging to students must remain in their bag and must not be
used during class time.
16. The Academy reserves the right to amend or alter the Rules and Conditions of enrolment at any time.
(Amended 8th February 2017)